Birmingham and Solihull has an extensive and excellent network of bus routes with a huge number of routes servicing each of our hospital sites.
Buses have never been more comfortable or convenient for passengers with priority bus lanes, extra leg room, USB charging points and free Wi-Fi available on many services.
All of our hospital sites are served by buses that start early, run late, and run often.
For full details of bus times, frequency and stop locations, please see the relevant hospital page:
- Travelling to Good Hope Hospital by bus
- Travelling to Heartlands Hospital by bus
- Travelling to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham by bus
- Travelling to Solihull Hospital by bus
Bus passes and discounts
As a member of the University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust (UHB) team, you can take advantage of discounted travel cards for buses, trains and Metro routes across our wider region.
We no longer have in-person sessions to issue travel passes, but you can now access a dedicated portal to get your corporate pass.
Discounted bus travel
As a member of the UHB team, you can take advantage of discounted travel on local buses. National Express offers an exclusive discount giving all staff 10% off the price of a monthly pass.
For full details, please see the NHS staff portal on the National Express website.
Reasons to go by bus
- Discounted travel for NHS staff: unlimited travel on bus, train and metro in the West Midlands area, all day, everyday – including weekends and bank holidays
- Tailored to your needs: a wide choice of corporate ticket offers, including nBus and network-wide passes
- Better for your pocket: avoid parking queues, parking tariffs and growing fuel costs
- The planet: a greener way to travel with a lower carbon footprint per passenger compared to driving a car
- Track your bus: download the National Express West Midlands App to find out when your bus will arrive. Search 'Network West Midlands' in your app store
- Platinum buses: on selected routes, experience extra legroom, free Wi-Fi, stop announcements and USB charging ports
Try before you buy – get a week’s free bus travel
Are you looking to cut your monthly costs and reduce your commuting impact on the environment? Not sure if ditching the car and getting the bus is the best way to get to work?
We have a limited number of free one week travel passes to use on National Express West Midlands buses, so you can try before you buy.
Getting the bus dramatically cuts the cost of running a car on a daily commute, it also:
- reduces traffic and congestion around our hospitals
- cuts air pollution and helps us all to breathe easier
- lowers stress levels when parking is tight
After your week’s free travel, if getting the bus is the right trip for you, you can also get an ongoing UHB discount for your monthly travel pass via the National Express West Midlands NHS staff portal.
For a week’s free bus travel, email the Trust's Travel Coordinator from your UHB email account to get your free travel pass today.
To get your UHB staff discount on a monthly pass, visit the NHS staff portal.
Plan your bus route
Not sure which bus you need? There are a number of helpful apps and websites.
Last reviewed: 09 March 2023